I was in a quilting class recently who had not learned the virtue of saving even small fabric scraps. The fabric was so pretty I just couldn’t resist asking my fellow students to have the scraps since they were merely going to throw them away anyway. The following tutorial is what I was able to create using these underestimated fabric scraps.
What You’ll Need:
- Sewing machine and proper sewing tools
- Iron & Ironing board
- Thin strips of scrap fabric
- A fat quarter of backing fabric
- Pillow stuffing
- Some healthy creativity
- First, once you have collected all of your scraps arrange them in a visually pleasing manner (I did this on the counter but you can do it on the floor or any other surface that you please).
- Take one piece at a time and sew it, right sides together to the adjacent piece.
- Repeat this process again and again until it is one solid piece.
- Make sure you are pressing each piece open as you sew a new one on.
- When I came to a strip that was in two separate pieces and shorter than all the others I sewed it together like so…
- Lay the two pieces right sides together at a 90-degree angle.
- Sew a diagonal line across the two pieces like so…
- Don’t do it this way or it won’t open up in a straight line!
- Open the two strips and press them flat with the iron
- Cut as needed and sew it into the rest of the scrap pillow.
- Here is a picture of the completed picture of the scraps all sewn together at the end. I included my knee-high boots to demonstrate how much fabric my fellow students had really thrown away (about a fat quarter’s worth).
- Next shore up the edges on this pillow to make it a uniform length and width.
- Once this part is complete cut a coordinating fabric to the same dimensions to use as a backing for your pillow.
- Sew all the way around it making sure to leave a small opening on the bottom to allow you to flip it inside out.
- Snip the corners so that when you turn the pillow inside out you will have nice pointy corners.
- Flip it inside out!
- Press all the wrinkles out of it one more time…
- Stuff the pillow!!!
- Stitch up the hole using your sewing machine or a slip stitch and you have yourself an amazing new decorative pillow!
That concludes this tutorial on creating pillows, being economical, saving money, and the planet. Last but not least glamour shots!!! Please like, comment, subscribe, and share with your friends!