A deep craving for freshly fried mozzarella sticks stuck me suddenly over the weekend. There’s only one problem: I’m gluten-free. Thus I struck out to design the very best homemade, gluten-free mozzarella stick recipe this world has ever seen!
- 1/3 block of cream cheese (softened)
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of fresh baby spinach diced (uncooked)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 clove of fresh garlic)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- salt to taste
- gluten-free breadcrumbs (I used 4C breadcrumbs for this recipe and they’re great)
- Gluten-free flower of choice (I used the Pillsbury)
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup or more of cooking oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- First, melt the cream cheese in the microwave, stir until creamy.
- Add in the mozzarella, spinach, garlic, onion, and salt to taste.
- Lay a piece of parchment paper over a baking sheet, then scoop the cheese-spinach mixture out onto it.
- Spread it evenly over the pan making it about 1 cm. thick or a little thicker depending on your mozzarella stick, thickness preferences.
- Throw it in the fridge for 30 mins. in the meantime heat your cooking oil in a pan until the surface is barely moving and bubbles form in the bottom of the pan.
- In three separate bowls mix the following: combine the egg and milk in one bowl, the flour, parsley, and salt in another, and finally, pour some gluten-free breadcrumbs into a shallow dish (upon further thought they should all be shallow dishes really, not bowls).
- Once your mozzarella-spinach mixture is a solid frozen block, take it out and cut it into mozzarella sticks. Mine were cut into sections about a centimeter wide and 2-3 inches long.
- Dip each stick into egg, flour, egg, crumbs: in that order.
- Throw those babies in the hot grease for about 2 minutes apiece or until golden brown.
- Take them out of the grease and throw them into the fire (I jest) place them carefully, maybe even lovingly onto a bed of paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- allow them to cool and pair them with your favorite variety of marinara sauce and you have a sure-fire winner!
Glamour shots never tasted so good! Please remember to like, comment, or even subscribe if you haven’t already!