Breakfast treats are hard to come by in the gluten-free realm of food. That is why I decided to try my hand at whipping up some tasty gluten-free scones for brunch.
Ingredients for Scones:
- 1 cup all purpose gluten free flour (I used almond)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cold butter
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tbs sugar
- Ground cinnamon to taste
- Orange zest
- Ingredients for Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-5 tbs of lemon or orange juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender (or a fork) cut butter into the mixture until it becomes coarse crumbs.
- Stir in dried fruit.
- Add milk and mix everything together until lightly moist.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured cookie sheet and knead it gently 8 times.
- Roll the dough into a circle that is approximately 1/2 inch thick and cut it into a wedge like a pizza.
- Then shaped the wedges into a more scone triangular shape.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- While the scones are baking prepare the glaze by measuring out 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and adding one tablespoon of juice at a time until all the sugar has been absorbed and formed a glaze.
- Take the scones from the oven and allow them to cool before glazing them.
The last step is to share and enjoy the scones! I hope that by sharing my gluten-free recipes people with dietary restrictions can be further included. If you enjoyed this post please subscribe so that you never miss a post! Share this recipe with your gluten-free friends and please comment on what other flavor combinations you might try! Thank you for your support and as always, glamour shots!