I recently started reading Jane Eyer and I needed a good bookmark. Because there is a lot of crafting going on in my house at the moment, I started feeling inspired so I decided to make a simple fabric bookmark.
What You’ll Need:
- A fabric strip about 12″ by 2″
- Embroidery floss and needle for hand sewing
- Embroidery hoop
- Other vital sewing implements
- Fold your fabric strip in half.
- Draw the desired design on one half of your fabric. I was inspired by a passage in Jane Eyer so I chose to embroider the Latin word “Resurgam” which means “I will rise again.”
- Secure your fabric strip in the embroidery hoop.
- Carefully embroider your design on the fabric strip.
- Fold it in half (length wise) right sides together and sew two of the three sides closed.
- Flip it right side out and iron it flat.
- Fold the one unsewn seam back into the book mark. Sew it closed (I hand sewed it shut so that the seam would be invisible). This finishes the book mark.
I really enjoyed making this project because it was really quick and simple. It can make a neat gift in a pinch. It’s also the kind of project you can embellish as much as you want (or as little). I hope you enjoyed this installment of DIY Craft Zibby. Here are the glamour shots.